Subject: Re: NetBSD on Dell Latitude D610
To: Ola Eriksson <ola@mreriksson.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2005 22:08:57
In message <4240AEEF.9040706@mreriksson.net>, Ola Eriksson writes:
>Hello people!
>
>I'm looking to replace my old laptop with something a bit more modern,
>so I'm looking for some suggestions on what NetBSD would run well on.
>
>I have been looking at Dell's Latitude series, and their D610 model,
>which seems to be a very nice machine. Does anyone have any experience
>with NetBSD on the D610 ? Or perhaps have a suggestion for some other
>brand/model that NetBSD has good support for?

There was some discussion in the last few days about some Dell laptops
not supporting APM -- and our ACPI support isn't quite laptop-ready
yet, from what I've heard.

I use IBM laptops; I'm typing this on a T42 running -current, and my
daughter is happily running 2.0 on an R51.  Most stuff works, though I
wish the machines had real modems instead of winmodems....  I did make
sure I got the a/b/g wireless card, since that uses the ath driver.
The GigE network interface is working well on both machines as well.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb