Subject: mysql installation and setup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2005 03:00:36
Where can I find real documentation on installing mysql from pkgsrc?

This:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
/usr/pkg/bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'
/usr/pkg/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h wolf  password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

Does not work!!! Either as root or mysql user.

Error message:

/usr/pkg/bin/mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have privileges to update tables in the mysql database to be able to change passwords for others'

Do I need to actually shut down the machine, connect a console and keyboard,
and log in at the console as root?

The docs on http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/resetting-permissions.html don't
seem to work.

Does pkgsrc set up some kind of password that it doesn't mention?

It looks like I'll have to remove the package and then install from the
beginning.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>