Subject: Re: How to create packages with several -march?
To: Nuno Teixeira <nu@nunotex.freeshell.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2005 01:51:19
Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your great and complete info.
>
> I will try this when pkgsrc freeze is complete because I need to compile
> meta kde3 and I'm waiting for xine-arts fix to be applied since
> kdemultimedia needs it.
>
> Just one more question: Do I see good performance results creating
> packages optimized with "-march=pentium-mmx" for a pentium 200 MMX based
> PC? For a long time that I see a lot of discussion about this and some
> people says that you get good results other people says that it doesn't
> matter using -march at all.

Using -march does create optimised binaries for a specific architecture,
but as far as I know -march=pentium-mmx can generate broken code (I
think this is gcc bug), so don't use it, maybe setting

-march=pentium -mmmx

will be safer...

Why would you want to run kde on slow P200? meta-pkgs/xfce4 has much
smaller memory footprint.