Subject: wiconfig for Atheros (ath) chip ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/17/2005 22:54:48
Hi,

having quality problems with my NetBSD/atheros AP, I installed a Linux
laptop (to use iwconfig) which told me :
	Link Quality: 46/100   Signal level: -57dBm  Noise level: -256dBm
so I think, this is my problem...

anyway, how to get such infos with NetBSD ?
when I use wiconfig on my NetBSD laptop, value seems weird :
# wiconfig ath0
Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 0 26 0 ]
# wiconfig ath0 -o
	<< everything is 0

I wanted to tweak the AP a bit (activate "Microwave oven robustness",
...) but wiconfig don't work :(
# wiconfig ath0 -M 1
wiconfig: SIOCSWAVELAN: Invalid argument

My wifi cards are WG311T and WG511T (NetGear).
WG311T: media: IEEE802.11 OFDM54 mode 11g hostap (autoselect mode 11g hostap)
WG511T: media: IEEE802.11 OFDM54 mode 11g

The laptop (netbsd and linux) are is the same room than the AP.
I tried various distance (from 20cm to 5m) but I still have a poor
signal.

So here's the questions :
1. does wiconfig work for ath driver ?
2. if not, what's the tool for tweaking ath params ?
3. if none, should I wait for wlanctl tool ?
4. is there a way to boost the signal of my AP ?

thanks for any answer,
	Jo
--
,- This mail runs ------.