Subject: NetBSD vs. idiot hotel wireless
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/15/2005 23:27:57
The hotel I'm staying at has a new and stupider-than-usual setup:  its
DNS intercept mechanism replies from a different IP address *and port
number* than the one to which NetBSD sent a query.  Until I got to view
their obligatory advertising Web page, I couldn't get out to the rest
of the net -- and NetBSD wouldn't resolve the IP address of their
redirect site because of the aforementioned idiocy.  I could probably
have hacked the resolver library, but I'd had a bit too much ethanol at
dinner to want to do that.  Is there any configuration or resolv.conf
setting I could have used?  I had to reboot to our favorite insecure
operating system, just to get past the nonsense, before I could use the
Internet.  This didn't amuse me...

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb