Subject: Re: Why is my RAM Frying?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: David Shaw <dave.shaw@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/14/2005 19:10:41
Okay: my BIOS reads:
CPU Temperature:  36 (C)
System Temperature:  39 (C)

My BIOS shutdown temperature is 70 (C). Does this eliminate (or help
to eliminate) the possibility that it's the RAM overheating? I don't
think that's it, as the server used to be my gaming machine (Windows!
Eek!) and never overheated then. After I upgraded my gaming machine, I
retired it to a server.

I'm still trying to see if there's anything in particular that I do to
create the page faults. It seems to work better when I don't have
other processes screened. I'll try memtesting each of the individual
sticks of RAM... but it seems that whatever's causing this would most
likely affect both sticks.

- David Shaw