Subject: issues with groff
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: ryan olejnik <ryno@metawire.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/14/2005 13:09:03
hello,

I am running NetBSD 2.0 (i386) upgraded from 2.6.2 installation after
a couple RC's. Anyway, whenever I try to view new pkg manuals I get
greeted by the following error:

/usr/share/tmac/troffrc:21: can't find macro file `tmac.tty'
troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer

I read from an email in the archive that I had to upgrade my userland
to rectify the situation. I thought I had successfully done this in
the past. Since, I am tight on space, I use base.tgz for that purpose.
I looked into base.tgz and found that it actually only contained two
directories (mdoc/ and mm/) but no files. From that point, I decided
to install the groff package(which appears to have the files the email
noted). I then issued rm -r /usr/share/tmac ; cp -r
/usr/pkg/share/groff/1.19.1/tmac /usr/share/ and tried reading a man
again. this time it yielded two different errors:

/usr/share/tmac/troffrc:32: normal or special character expected (got a node)
/usr/share/tmac/troffrc:55: error: end of file while defining macro `sgr@dummy'
troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer

when attempting to read a man again after just completely removing
/usr/share/tmac, I ended up getting just this error:

troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer

does anyone know why all the .tmac files aren't in base.tgz, and how I
may be able to rectify this issue from here?

thanks,
ryan olejnik