Subject: Re: ifconfig alias in rc.conf
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org,>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/2005 15:09:25
In article <4230B7E6.2050304@mediamines.com> you wrote:
> I recently ran into a problem where I was trying to define an IP and
> aliases to an interface through rc.conf.
> ifconfig_fxp0 "inet a.b.c.d netmask 0xffffff00"
> ifconfig_fxp0 "inet e.f.g.h netmask 0xffffffff alias"
>  It seemed that each definition over wrote the last.  I've ended up
> defining the interfaces IP's through ifconfig.if, but was wondering if
> it is possible to do so through rc.conf?

The above won't work at all, as you've left out the "=" for the variable
assignment - rc.conf is written in sh(1) syntax. But even if you add that
(as you probably did in your file), you will just overwrite the variable.

I don't think what you want to do is possible in rc.conf (unfortunately!).

Maybe have a look at ifaliases(5).

 - Hubert

--
  ___ _ _  _   _        * Harddisk Image Cloning *
 / __| | || | | |           www.feyrer.de/g4u/