Subject: Re: 802.11 wireless and tcpdump
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/09/2005 23:32:29
The version of ethereal I am using is 0.10.6. It has a bug where if the
Capture menu item Start... is used the Link-Layer header type is not
changeable (even though the box is not greyed out for ath0), so if I
prime it the first time by using instead the Interfaces... item, then
prepare for ath0, I can then select IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN as the
Link-layer header type, which is required to see the packets.
Also the channel does not change in monitor mode (I believe the default
is channel 2), so should be preselected. Because of the overlapping
channels in b/g the exact channel does not need to selected, but
something close. Also note if the default header type is not saved, it
will need to be selected at every capture start.