Subject: Re: decent mp3 players supported by open source tools?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2005 03:58:39
In article <20050304024759.851A33BFE3B@berkshire.machshav.com>,
	"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> Are there any decent mp3 players (support for ogg and flac is
> desirable) that work well with NetBSD?  I haven't heard much good about
> the iPod tools.

I currently favor "gqmpeg", which is just a front end for the command line
"mpg123". It's primitive, but it support playlists, and skipping around in
the recording via a slider. Support for "ogg" files was added recently.
I suspect it would be fairly easy to add support for any format that has a
command line player.

For mp3, there's also "madplay", "mplayer", "trplayer", and "xmms". Lately,
I've come across mp3s that sound terribly scratchy under "xmms", but sound
fine under "mpg123". "gqmpeg", however, sometimes gets an odd flutter that
goes away after you pause and resume.

Frederick