Subject: Re: LFS (was Thank you NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2005 00:41:36
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:07:05 -0700 (MST)
Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> wrote:

> Did they ever come out with fsck for AdvFS?
You mean verify(8) and fixfdmn(8)?

> I've also seen Veritas fs crash from a power outage and not recover. I
> also have a few stories about jfs and xfs.
I think there is only one solution to prevent file system damage: Make
sure that power will not fail, never. This is also the reason why "good"
hardware RAID systems have a NV write cache... Not to talk about the
on-disk write back cache... Especially the later can make it really hard
to guarantee data integrity. Even for FFS1 and softdeps. (AFAIK)

> NetBSD ffsv1 is very resilient to crashes. The only times that I've
> lost data is when the underlying hardware was going south.
Well. I have seen fsck(8) _destoying_ file systems on NetBSD/vax...
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen