Subject: Re: Best way to keep you pkgsrc software up2date
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/2005 17:38:51
On Friday, February 18, 2005, at 10:42 PM, Peter Eisch wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to keep a set of packages built in a
> single
> whack.  (Next would be how to stuff them onto an install disk...)

I have a lot less practical NetBSD experience than some here, but that
doesn't always keep me quiet :)

Have you looked at pkg_tarup?
It seems that if I forget to make a backup of a working app using this,
_that's_ the time that there is guaranteed to be a rebuild issue.

Also seems like it would make reinstalling onto the same architecture
pretty swift and easy, too.

Better (for me) than pkg_create, in my experience pkg_create will only
really "create" if the package of interest is not already on the
system. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to make a package of
what's already working as a backup, in case the current pkgsrc or
version or whatever might fail in build.

Brian