Subject: Re: stupid questions about sendmail
To: None <dlagno@mail.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2005 13:27:30
Hey,

On Friday 18 February 2005 08:28, Denis Lagno wrote:
> <snip>
> However I observe strange behaviour of sendmail.
> When flam is not connected to Internet (only to LAN) then
> it can not redirect mail:
>
> j1I0T7FM013366      419 Fri Feb 18 03:29 <root@flam.gado>
>                  (Deferred: Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup
> failure) dina@chup
> j1I0T93I013347     2351 Fri Feb 18 03:29 <root@flam.gado>
>                  (Deferred: Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup
> failure) dina@chup
>
> maillog contains:
>
> Feb 18 10:06:41 flam sendmail[15915]: j1I0T93I013347: to=dina@chup,
> ctladdr=<root@flam.gado> (0/0), delay=06:37:32, xdelay=00:00:00,
> mailer=esmtp, pri=35852690, relay=chup.gado., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
> Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup failure
>
> Notice trailing dot in the name chup.gado.
>
> When I rise Internet connection on flam.gado via GPRS then
> mail is successfully sent.

I think your problem is that you use external DNS servers to look up your
local hostnames (chup.gado in this case). When the Internet connection goes
down, your system is not able to find the IP address for chup.gado. It's easy
to solve this by editing your /etc/hosts file. Add a new line there
containing the IP address and hostname for the machine you want to look up
(chup.gado).

HTH, Vincent van Scherpenseel