Subject: Re: stupid questions about sendmail
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Denis Lagno <dlagno@mail.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2005 10:28:10
One more question.

I have local network with laptop (chup.gado) and server (flam.gado).
sendmail on both machines is started in "deferred lookup" mode:

sendmail -b d -q 20m -O LogLevel=15 -O DeliveryMode=d

I want mail sent to users on flam.gado (daily insecurity output)
to be redirected to me at chup.gado
So I added aliases to flam:/etc/mail/aliases

root:           dina
operator:       dina
dina:           dina@chup

However I observe strange behaviour of sendmail.
When flam is not connected to Internet (only to LAN) then
it can not redirect mail:

j1I0T7FM013366      419 Fri Feb 18 03:29 <root@flam.gado>
                 (Deferred: Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup failure)
                                         dina@chup
j1I0T93I013347     2351 Fri Feb 18 03:29 <root@flam.gado>
                 (Deferred: Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup failure)
                                         dina@chup

maillog contains:

Feb 18 10:06:41 flam sendmail[15915]: j1I0T93I013347: to=dina@chup, ctladdr=<root@flam.gado> (0/0), delay=06:37:32, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=35852690, relay=chup.gado., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Name server: chup.gado.: host name lookup failure

Notice trailing dot in the name chup.gado.

When I rise Internet connection on flam.gado via GPRS then
mail is successfully sent.

==

Second problem is this.  Earlier I used to send mail when
my machine is not connected to Internet.  Sendmail deferred
it in its queue and mail was sent later when connection is up.

Now I cannot do it.  When I send mail when machine is not
connected to Internet the mail is just lost.

I tried to send test mail.  maillog contains:

Feb 18 10:17:33 chup sendmail[19028]: j1I7HXU4019028: Authentication-Warning: chup.gado: dina set sender to dlagno@mail.ru using -f
Feb 18 10:17:33 chup sendmail[19028]: j1I7HXU4019028: from=dlagno@mail.ru, size=447, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20050218071733.GL5662@chup.gado>, relay=dina@localhost
Feb 18 10:17:33 chup sendmail[19028]: j1I7HXU4019028: to=dlagno@smtp.ru, delay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=30447, dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued

However the queue does not contain this message:

# sendmail -bp
/var/spool/mqueue (1 request)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
j1H12KqA009339     2011 Thu Feb 17 04:02 <dlagno@mail.ru>
                 (host map: lookup (mail.ru): deferred)
                                         <christos@zoulas.com>
                Total requests: 1

Queue contains only older message (that can not be sent thanks to spam filters).

SO IT BREAKS EXPECTATION THAT MAIL IS NEVER LOST!
MAIL JUST LOST.  LOGS CONTAIN INFO THAT IT IS QUEUED BUT IT IS LOST!