Subject: ACPI and mouse freezes
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juho Vuori <juho.vuori@kepa.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/16/2005 09:20:49
It's possible I'm just doing something very stupid, but can't figure out
what it is.  Probably something with the kernel configuration as I'm not
exactly sure what all the ACPI-options are. With a self-built
ACPI-enabled kernel everything else works fine, but if a program tries
to access mouse somehow, the mouse and keyboard freezes completely. The
rest of the system keeps running nicely. With generic kernel, everything
goes well. In other words, starting X or wsmoused is impossible. The
mouse is a typical PS/2 one and rest of the hardware is pretty generic
i386 desktop stuff.

The things I can capture from dmesg are:

pckbport: command timeout
pms_enable: command error 35
pckbport: command timeout
pckbport: command timeout
pms_disable: command error

which happens straight away after starting wsmoused.

Differences to the GENERIC kernel configuration are:

#options        I386_CPU
#options        I486_CPU
#options        I586_CPU
#options        MATH_EMULATE    # floating point emulation
acpi0           at mainbus0
options         ACPI_PCI_FIXUP          # PCI interrupt routing via ACPI
options         ACPI_ACTIVATE_DEV       # If set, activate inactive devices
options ACPI_DISABLE_ON_POWEROFF        # disable acpi on power off
acpiacad*       at acpi0                # ACPI AC Adapter
acpibat*        at acpi0                # ACPI Battery
acpibut*        at acpi0                # ACPI Button
acpiec*         at acpi0                # ACPI Embedded Controller
acpilid*        at acpi0                # ACPI Lid Switch
acpitz*         at acpi0                # ACPI Thermal Zone
com*            at acpi0                # Serial communications interface
fdc*            at acpi0                # Floppy disk controller
lpt*            at acpi0                # Parallel port
npx*            at acpi0                # Math coprocessor
pckbc*          at acpi0                # PC keyboard controller

And if it is of any use here is acpi related kernel bootup messages:
# dmesg|grep -i acpi

acpi0 at mainbus0
acpi0: using Intel ACPI CA subsystem version 20040211
acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <ASUS  ,A7V8X-X ,42302e31>, AslId <MSFT,31313031>
acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
acpi0: fixed-feature power button present
ACPI Object Type 'Processor' (0x0c) at acpi0 not configured
acpi: activated PNP0C0F
acpi: activated PNP0C0F
acpi: activated PNP0C0F
acpibut0 at acpi0 (PNP0C0C): ACPI Power Button
PNP0C01 at acpi0 not configured
PNP0C0F at acpi0 not configured
PNP0C0F at acpi0 not configured
PNP0C0F at acpi0 not configured