Subject: Re: Status of LFS?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2005 08:52:32
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I got a new harddisk for my laptop, and being afraid of a 40GB fsck
> instead of a 6GB fsck now, I wonder how stable LFS is:
>
>   * will it still corrupt the filesystem when the disk runs full?

Not sure here.

>   * Is it supported as root filesystem?

Yes, this worked for a limited test.

>   * Can it be booted from? (under NetBSD 2.0)

Yes.  I think since the last bootblock re-org you can just installboot
using /usr/mdec/bootxx_lfsv2 and no fancy options.

When I first did lfs boot support for x86 you used to have to do
something like:

	newfs_lfs -O 256 /dev/rwd0a
	installboot -b 32 /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_lfsv2

The -O to newfs_lfs says to start the filesystem 256 sectors after the
start of the disk, which leaves some room to put the primary bootstrap,
and then the -b 32 tells installboot to just blat the bootstrap starting
at block 32.

If the first way doesn't work, the above should.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/