Subject: Re: Status of LFS?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2005 22:45:51
Am 14.02.2005 um 22:06 Uhr +0100 schrieb Hubert Feyrer:
>I got a new harddisk for my laptop, and being afraid of a 40GB fsck
>instead of a 6GB fsck now, I wonder how stable LFS is:

I've got a NetBSD 2.0 installation on a 20 GB disk in a Thinkpad 380D.

>  * will it still corrupt the filesystem when the disk runs full?

Don't know about 'full', since I haven't tried that. Forcing a
fsck_lfs usually results in disquieting messages. The lfs is fscked
during every boot even if marked as clean; there's a nonsensical
message from the kernel during boot about bumping some parameter to
"at least 0".

>  * Is it supported as root filesystem?

Yes. No. You can boot from it; sysinst, OTOH, does not support it
beyond setting the partition type to 'lfs'. No {newfs,fsck,dunp}_lfs
in the install kernels - in case of emergency, your only way out is
dropping the disk into another NetBSD machine for repair.

>  * Can it be booted from? (under NetBSD 2.0)

Yes.

But the complete lack of support in the install kernels screams: Hands Off!

YMMV,
	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik