Subject: Re: Sort of off-topic, but....
To: None <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2005 03:29:26
In article <>,
	Richard Rauch <> writes:
> What I"m looking for:
>  * ls, diff, more, cat, ssh
>  * CVS and/or RCS
>  * X would be nice.
>  * Compilers would be nice.
>  * Ability to NFS mount remote disks.
>  * lpd
> ...those are in approximate descending order.  (E.g., CygWIN
> had the top 4 which was good enough; samba gave me the rest.)
> CygWIN would be almost "perfect" if I could download the package
> with NetBSD and then slurp it over my local ethernet from, say, my
> web-server.

MSYS, part of the MinGW project on Sourceforge, provides a
minimal POSIX environment for running GNU "configure", "gcc", and
GNU "make". There's just the two tarballs for MinGW (the compiler)
and MSYS (the utilities) -- no large collection of packages -- but
anything you manage to compile can be distributed unencumbered by
the GPL, and in fact, many projects do that independently. The main
deficiency over CygWIN is that there's no X port.