Subject: Re: Jerky/frozen mouse under load
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jakub Misak <jmisak@atlas.cz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2005 03:34:46
> Are you running many memory hungry applications at the same time, like
> kde, firefox, thunderbird, gimp, etc. If you're running out of RAM and
> your machine is swapping, things can get pretty slow. You can see swap
> statistics by running 'swapctl -lk'

No, I was running only Xfce desktop, Firefox and xterm. It's not a memory
issue, 512 MB RAM is more than enough for this.

> Other than that, maybe there are issues with display driver, or
> something

I don't think so. I'm definitely not an expert in operating systems, but
couldn't it have something to do with the scheduler in 2.0 or the
various changes in the new kernel? I remember FreeBSD was extremely
jerky, too (that's why I switched to NetBSD 1.5 and 1.6), but people say
it's much better now with the new scheduler in FreeBSD...

And like I said, NetBSD 1.6 was very smooth on the same PC with the same
software, drivers and settings. And multitasking in Linux is also a lot
smoother than it is in NetBSD 2.0 on the same PC, with the same
software.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.