Subject: Re: Jerky/frozen mouse under load
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2005 00:42:21
Jakub Misak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was using NetBSD 1.6 before, which was good and smooth. But when I
> switched to 2.0, I noticed that the mouse cursor tends to get much more
> jerky or even frozen in X under heavy load, sometimes with extremely
> long pauses. For example, when I unpacked pkgsrc.tgz in /usr, it was not
> jerky - it was completely, 100% frozen for 10-15 seconds. Which means
> that there was a 15 second pause when I couldn't move the mouse at all,
> the whole system didn't respond at all.
>
> But even if the disc/CPU load is not so high, the mouse cursor very often
> gets jerky during normal, regular tasks - for example when a page is
> being loaded in a web browser, etc.

Are you running many memory hungry applications at the same time, like
kde, firefox, thunderbird, gimp, etc. If you're running out of RAM and
your machine is swapping, things can get pretty slow. You can see swap
statistics by running 'swapctl -lk'

Other than that, maybe there are issues with display driver, or something