Subject: Jerky/frozen mouse under load
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jakub Misak <jmisak@atlas.cz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/2005 23:28:37
Hello,

I was using NetBSD 1.6 before, which was good and smooth. But when I
switched to 2.0, I noticed that the mouse cursor tends to get much more
jerky or even frozen in X under heavy load, sometimes with extremely
long pauses. For example, when I unpacked pkgsrc.tgz in /usr, it was not
jerky - it was completely, 100% frozen for 10-15 seconds. Which means
that there was a 15 second pause when I couldn't move the mouse at all,
the whole system didn't respond at all.

But even if the disc/CPU load is not so high, the mouse cursor very often
gets jerky during normal, regular tasks - for example when a page is
being loaded in a web browser, etc.

Why is 2.0 so much worse in this respect than 1.6 was (Linux on the same
PC is also much, much smoother)? Is there anything that can be done
about it?

My system:
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz
512 MB RAM