Subject: Sort of off-topic, but....
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/2005 01:08:34
Well, this is a general chatter list...(^&

I'm running a new monopoly-soft system.  I'd like to have something
like a POSIX (let's say NetBSD-like, to relate; (^&) environment.
I've used CygWIN in the past, but they have this silly idea of a
custom download tool which requires you to connect the (insecure)
MonopolySoft computer to the Internet while downloading.  I'd
rather not do that.

Is there any "download one file" distribution of anything similar?
What I"m looking for:

 * ls, diff, more, cat, ssh
 * CVS and/or RCS
 * X would be nice.
 * Compilers would be nice.
 * Ability to NFS mount remote disks.
 * lpd

...those are in approximate descending order.  (E.g., CygWIN
had the top 4 which was good enough; samba gave me the rest.)

CygWIN would be almost "perfect" if I could download the package
with NetBSD and then slurp it over my local ethernet from, say, my
web-server.

(I do have a directory of CygWIN files that I could put into a .zip
perhaps and transfer.  But I gathher that CygWIN is somewhat
sensitive to the underlying MonopolySoft edition in use and the
files are somewhat dated anyway.)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.