Subject: Re: mapping shared memory at a fixed address
To: Rahul Kulkarni <crypto_rahul@yahoo.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2005 23:21:31
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:28:47PM -0800, Rahul Kulkarni wrote:
> On a potentially large system with a huge code base,
> this cannot work, due to a lot of duplication in the
> text and if if you fork a lot of children then the
> text  sizes will be a concern..

Huh?  We're talking about a demand-paged VM.  Unless you're
writing to the text segment, it's shared.  Forking should be
more efficient than execing since you also get to share the shib
binding goo which would normally be private and COW.

I suppose you can run into address space issues, but that
has nothing to do with duplication of text pages.

Eduardo