Subject: Re: resetting a pppoe connection?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n_C=2E?= <ccatrian@eml.cc>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2005 22:49:47
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:55:29PM -0300, César Catrián C. wrote:
> clear-auth-failure=5 seems a very low default to me.

This is from experiences with an ex-ISP of mine. They automatically disabled
my access after 9 wrong retries. I had changed the password using their
web thing, modified /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0 - but forgot to reload the pppoe
configuration - after 24 hours they also forced a disconnect, and on reconnect
my machine got locked out. No need to mention this happend late friday
afternoon, and customer service was only available on the next monday.
If I had known the details, I would have had the connection back up on the
next morning - they cleared the "blocked" status in a nightly cron job.
But I didn't know at that time and customer servcie gave very wrong advice,
and then didn't response, etc. It took nearly a week and caused costs for
a ISDN backup connection - and you probably understand why it's an ex-ISP
of mine. Anyway, I used the week w/o DSL connection to implement the max-auth-*
stuff.

> I've set it to '0' in my connection.

That's what I do on most machines too, after inintial testing.

Martin