Subject: Re: Receiving TV on netbsd ?
To: Florence HENRY <florence.henry@obspm.fr>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2005 13:20:13
Florence HENRY(florence.henry@obspm.fr) said 2005.02.07 11:43:16 +0000:
> We plan to replace our broken VHS recorder by a netbsd machine that
> would be able to receive TV and record programs on hard disk or DVD.

Not recommended at this time, I would say.

> What are your experiences in receiving TV under NetBSD ? What TV cards,
> with high quality tuner are supported ?

Using my TV card (a Pinnacle PCTV Pro), I cannot even use XVideo to get
scaling to my full size screen. I have also tried many times to record, bit
after a while this usually causes kernel panics.

> And what are your expriences in casting video flux with a S-video
> output? I once had a laptop provided with a S-video output, but I never
> managed to cast the output on the TV through a S-video/RCA cable.

Appearently S-Video is not without its fair share of compatibility problems.

> Thanks for sharing your exeperiences.

Sadly, this is one area in which the Linux support is much better.

> Florence Henry
	--Wouter