Subject: Re: Up-stream bandwidth shaping without resorting to linux/iptables?
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2005 23:53:24
[ On Saturday, February 5, 2005 at 17:08:22 (-0600), John Darrow wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Up-stream bandwidth shaping without resorting to linux/iptables?
>
> This is actually very easy.  Simply use 0/0 for both internal and
> external addresses.  From my ipnat.conf, with gre0 the external
> interface in my case:
>
> # To make packets over the tunnel keep under the right size
> map gre0 0/0 -> 0/0 mssclamp 1280

Hmmm.... that didn't work for me -- at least not on 1.6.2_STABLE.

The connections where put into the NAT table and everything appeared to
be working OK, but MSS clamping just didn't happen at all.  My FTP puts
and gets were still flowing with full-sized packets (I tried clamping
down to 512 bytes, IIRC).

I can retry this experiment again any time if anyone has any clues to
help with further debugging.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>