Subject: Re: Up-stream bandwidth shaping without resorting to linux/iptables?
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2005 17:53:59
In message <m1CxYca-0024g3C@building.weird.com>, "Greg A. Woods" writes:

>Well with any bandwidth management tool in any IP network it is only
>possible to control what one sends, but not what one receives.
>
>(You could control what you receive, but there's no point since it has
>to cross the narrower wire to get to your control point anyway.)

Actually, at least for TCP and well-behaved UDP applications, that's
not so.  Dropped packets are interpreted by the sender as an indication
of congestion, which will cause it to slow down.  Another strategy (I
suspect, though I haven't tried it) is to delay ACKs, since the sending
TCP will use the ACk arrival rate to clock the sending rate.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb