Subject: Re: iPod shuffle?
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2005 13:59:20
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:04:36 +0100, Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de> wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried connecting an iPod shuffle to NetBSD?  Does it show up
> > as a USB disk?  (The iPod mini does *not* work with NetBSD or
> > (apparently) FreeBSD -- it shows up as a umass, but never manages to be
> > attached.)
>
> I'm waiting for mine to get delivered ("before or on Feb 24th" :-|,
> ordered a week ago).  Seems AppleStore only just started shipping here
> in .de for iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini...

It works fine for me as 'sd0' on a -current system.  On a 2.0.1
(GENERIC) system  I just popped it into I get this:
umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/10.01, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
umass0: no buffer memory

I guess I need to test this out a bit more and possibly file a PR.  I
assumed it work on 2.x since it worked on my -current system. :)

I was able to make a copy of the drive (with 'dd') and copy files on
it without a problem.  It is a FAT32 file system, but iTunes creates a
number of directories to index the files and such, so you can't just
copy MP3 files onto it.  Well once you've loaded something with iTunes
you might be able to add stuff easily to one of the directories, I
haven't test that out.

-Andrew