Subject: Re: NetBSD reliability and capabilities
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Humphries <chris@unixfu.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2005 09:34:12
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| On (03/02/05 08:32), Jan Schaumann wrote:
|
| Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:32:48 -0500
| From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
| To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
| Subject: Re: NetBSD reliability and capabilities
|
| Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net> wrote:
| > Thor Lancelot Simon on 2005-02-02 21:33:52 -0500:

| > > Where, exactly, did you get the idea that the webserver would be running
| > > under emulation?
| >
| > quote from original message:
| > -------------------
| > 3. Has anyone run a production http server on Java & Java HTTP Server like
| > Tomcat reliable, fast(means comparable fast to other unix-like OS) through
| > linux emulation layer (I mean a server that really is under pressure of
| > course)
| > -------------------
| >
| > The Tomcat he's running (and perhaps the Apache with mod_jk) will be
| > "native", but Tomcat needs >=java1.4, which will be run through the
| > emulation layer.
|
| Why not use the native JDK?
|
| http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/

they warn use at your own risk. why go to all this trouble to use netbsd
when linux is right there and could have had the job done already. i
love netbsd as the next guy, but when you got a job to do, you choose
the best solution for the task at hand.

trying to force a round peg in a square hole may be fun, but when there
is a job to do round pegs go in round holes so you can get the project
moving and the task done :)

many people though have reported java with tomcat on freebsd to run without
much problems, so many it may work. just if it was my name on the line, I
would choose to go with something that you know works without question.

maybe if it wasn't tomcat netbsd vs linux argument would be more sane, but
it seems like linux is the obvious answer here.

i would suggest playing with netbsd and doing some tests and really stress
test the heck out of it if you can get a test environment to do so. while
you are at it, do it with linux too.

maybe be good for all of us if you did testing and report to us what you
find :) if you have a lot of time to test before turning over to the client,
i would suggest you test first and make sure you are ok with the choice
whatever it may be. if i have learned anything, it is that what i think is
going to happen doesn't always happen, so it is better to run tests to
experiment and be sure. :)

tomcat running on a small embedded device off a flash card seems silly to
me. curious to see how well it really works. don't suppose there is any
j2me solution that could be made? what are your resource restrictions?
is it i386 arch, soekris? Is it just a simple gui interface like that in
the firmware on linksys/dlink switch/router/ap devices? Tomcat and java
are not that bad in low traffic environments. Hopefully the java code is
good enough to help the GC (why having Java programmers learn j2me before
j2ee is a great idea, imo [in the same way learning asm before C]).

so many questions, yet i have to return to work as well ;)

curious to see how it turns out :)

wish you luck!
-Chris