Subject: NetBSD reliability and capabilities
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Drewke <andreas_dr@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2005 18:10:58
Hallo,

i like to ask a serious question.

The software company I am working at might make a deal with another company to
sell server system with a small Flashcard or rom as storage device(approx.
256 or 512mb) where a Unix-like-OS and our Server Software will be running
on.

Actually here in company I develop and run the application on NetBSD, but
customers who bought the product choosed of course their OS - named linux -
themself, so there is no real prove that my preferred combination works
really stable and reliable in Real World Usage (means 100% uptime).

I would like to chose NetBSD of course for the OS.

But now the questions.

1. Is it possible to run NetBSD/i386 from a CF like storage device(maybe more
a question of bios)?
2. Is it possible to run it without graphics card? Is this possible at all on
x86 hardware (hmm, might depend on bios and hardware I guess too)
2. What about things like swap partitions. There will be enough ram in that
machine for the task it will do. But does NetBSD prefer a  small swap space
thow to do some VM tasks?
3. Has anyone run a production http server on Java & Java HTTP Server like
Tomcat reliable, fast(means comparable fast to other unix-like OS) through
linux emulation layer (I mean a server that really is under pressure of
course)
4. Has anybody any other thoughts that comes to mind when reading this?
5. Am I insane just to consider NetBSD?

I thing question 3 is the most interessting one....

Regards
Andreas

--

www: http://drewke.net / icq:175089452