Subject: Re: Replace system Postfix
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/01/2005 15:10:42
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:13:24AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> IMHO, even one mailer is too much.  We can get those guys from pkgsrc.
> If we are not going to assume a full-blown mail server, do we really
> need much sophistication for nightly mail?  I'd say: Forget about
> aliases, filtering, and friends.  All mail is local to local.  All
> mail is correctly formatted.  All system mailboxes are mbox.  (^&
> It should be comparatively simple to deliver the mail in that case.
> If those assumptions are wrong, then the user can go to pkgsrc and
> pick the mailer of their dreams.

NetBSD includes sendmail for the same reason it includes ssh and others:
*expected behaviour*.  People expect to be able to use mail(1) on a
default NetBSD install.

I once even heard someone say (don't remember who though), "how could we
call it UNIX-like if it doesn't include sendmail?".

However, two mailers may be too much indeed.  Esp. since many people
want to use postfix from pkgsrc for extra compile-time options, and are
concerned about conflicts with postfix in base (that's what this thread
was about, originally).

--
:wq