Subject: Re: etherboot rom-o-matic
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2005 16:42:31
--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

Daniel Cox <dc@microbits.com.au> wrote:

[quoting re-arranged to make sense]

>> Or, what are the alternatives?  Surely there's a way to boot a floppy to
>> pxe boot a NetBSD system!
>=20
> grub (on floppy) with network support can load a netbsd image by tftp

Thanks for the pointer, that actually worked well.  I did the following:

disklabel -w -r /dev/fd0a floppy
newfs /dev/fd0a
mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
mkdir /mnt/grub

cp /usr/pkg/share/grub/i386-/* /mnt/grub
cat >/mnt/grub/menu.lst <<EOF

#global defaults
default 0
timeout 0
#serial --unit=3D0 --speed=3D9600
#terminal --timeout=3D10 console serial

title NetBSD
dhcp
kernel --type=3Dnetbsd (nd)/netbsd

EOF
umount /mnt
/usr/pkg/sbin/grub --batch <<EOF
root (fd0)
setup (fd0)
quit
EOF

grub was compiled with=20
GRUB_NETWORK_CARDS=3D3c90x

Another important part was that since grub doesn't pass arguments to the
kernel, I had to compile

config netbsd root on ? type nfs

(ie hard-code type nfs)
into the kernel that is served via tftp.

> I'm trying to create a pxe netboot floppy.  It seems that the
> rom-o-matic 5.3.7 image appears to almost work -- it gets a dhcp address
> and fetches the pxe image from the server, which appears to start to
> load the kernel, but then it stops.

And as I type this, it occurs to me that this (ie the hard-coded root on
nfs) is actually the cause of the previous problem.  And lo and behold:
indeed!

So: fetch http://rom-o-matic.net/5.3.7/, then
cat eb-5.3.7-3c90x.zdsk > /dev/fd0a

and voil=E0, it works!  The floppy will do the regular same old pxeboot
that it fetches from your netbsd server.  So let me go and get rid off
the silly grub setup (which takes a bit longer to load)! :-)

-Jan

--=20
http://www.eff.org

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J