Subject: Re: Problems compiling NetBSD Userland
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Keil <J.Keil@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2005 11:49:48
Hello.

This mail is for those who might stumble across the same problems that i
encountered. A weird error that i found while trying to make build or
distribution was that the whole process breaks when an alias for ls is
set (i had this setting my .kshrc for root and my user account).
Solutions:
- alias ll="colorls -aG" (needs some retraining in working with the
shell but it's the easiest way to solve the problem)
- patching ls to give colored output (will add more code to the base
system which will probably make a lot of people unhappy)
- change build.sh to work with ls/colorls
- make an extra account for userland compiling (without personalized dot
files or even a home directory)
As noted above, changing my alias for ls worked great and i can now
compile a distribution without errors using this set of commands:
time ./build.sh -j8 tools 1> tools.log 2> tools.errlog;
time ./build.sh -j8 -u kernel=KERNCONF 1> kernel.log; 2> kernel.errlog;
time ./build.sh -j8 -u (-U) distribution 1> distribution.log 2>
distribution.errlog
Installation is also quite problematic. When installing as root but
compiling as user never forget to add "-U" to your ./build.sh install=/
command otherwise the file permissions will not be set correctly. When
compiling as root installation won't work when -U is set. Anyway never
forget to add -T and -D (with the accurate directories).
I hope somebody else will find this information useful.

Greetings,

Jochen Keil