Subject: Re: XFS/AdvFS type for Netbsd
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2005 09:57:00
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:52:22 -0500 (EST) Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > > LFS is in-tree.
> >=20
> > There is _zero_ support for lfs in the installer: No newfs_lfs, no
> > mount_lfs, no fsck_lfs, no kernel support. No emergency access from
> > a bootable CDROM.
>=20
> Well, nothing forces anyone to use LFS for the root (and /usr)
> filesystem just because one uses LFS for some other filesystem.  :-)

Right. But you'll have to set it up later, because while you can
disklabel(8) an LFS partition, sysinst will tell you it cannot handle
it. And - more important - you have to be aware that there will be no
access to an LFS partition from a boot floppy/cdrom in case of
emergency.

Strange priorities in sysinst -- I'd choose LFS support (and commandline
editing, and localised keyboard mappings, if there is any room left on
the media) over eye candy like localised installer text any day.

	hauke

--=20
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut f=FCr Nachrichtentechnik
 X     No Word docs in email	                  TU Darmstadt
/ \  Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281