Subject: Re: File Size Limitations
To: Sridhar Ayengar <ploop@mindless.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2005 22:23:11
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:07:47PM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Is there a difference in maximum file size between UFS and UFS2?

Probably - but the limit  is much larger than any disk drive/raid array you
could ever afford.

> I have a RAID array (1080GB capacity) onto which I will need to
> dump multiple 200GB files.  Will I be ok?

It shouldn't make much difference, FFSv1 is limited to 2^31 disk
fragments - but both are limited to 2^31 (maybe 2^32) sectors because
of limitations of the NetBSD disklabel.

If you intend filling the filesystem with large files, make sure you
reduce the number of inodes in the filesystem.  By default they take
a considerable % of the space.  You will also benefit from using a
large block/fragment size - but don't use 64k if you need the raid
to be bootable.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk