Subject: Re: strange apache & SSL problem
To: None <carnivorous@gmail.com>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2005 05:37:11
* carnivorous@gmail.com <carnivorous@gmail.com> [0140 02:40]:

> Earlier when I said openssl s_client -connect www.myserver.com:443 was
> working...  Well, that wasn't entirely true.  I just noticed that it
> works for openssl s_client -connect localhost:443, but when I put the
> external server address instead of localhost, it just hangs.
>
> Also, doing a completely fresh install & creating certificates, I
> noticed that even when ssl.conf under /usr/local/etc/httpd is NOT
> configured with the right values (i.e. it still has the
> server.example.com example in it), I see the same weird characters in
> my access_log.  So this means that it's not a configuration problem.
>
> I've tried
>
> Listen 1.2.3.4:443
>
> where 1.2.3.4 is my real IP address, in hopes that it would only bind
> to the external address, but that didn't work.  This time 'openssl
> s_client -connect localhost:443' just gave me a connection refused.

That's what you'd expect, surely?

How about adding

rasputin@lb:httpd$ egrep -r '(NameVirtualHost|Listen)' httpd.conf
Listen 0.0.0.0:80
Listen 0.0.0.0:443
NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

The Listen directives will sort your connection errors, if you're lucky
the namevirtualhost might get the ssl vhost into play.

(not sure whether you need the NameVirtualHost entries for a __default__
vhost, I don't use them. The 0.0.0.0 is to stop httpd listening on ipv6
(which it does if I use '*'.)

--
'A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction
into a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.'