Subject: Re: strange apache & SSL problem
To: Patrick Mackey <netbsd@deniedaccess.org>
From: None <carnivorous@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2005 18:40:32
Some interesting things I forgot to mention.

Earlier when I said openssl s_client -connect www.myserver.com:443 was
working...  Well, that wasn't entirely true.  I just noticed that it
works for openssl s_client -connect localhost:443, but when I put the
external server address instead of localhost, it just hangs.

Also, doing a completely fresh install & creating certificates, I
noticed that even when ssl.conf under /usr/local/etc/httpd is NOT
configured with the right values (i.e. it still has the
server.example.com example in it), I see the same weird characters in
my access_log.  So this means that it's not a configuration problem.

I've tried

Listen 1.2.3.4:443

where 1.2.3.4 is my real IP address, in hopes that it would only bind
to the external address, but that didn't work.  This time 'openssl
s_client -connect localhost:443' just gave me a connection refused.

I've also scp'ed the httpd binary from an almost identical box that
has apache+SSL working fine.  Same results.  I've deinstalled, and
installed both apache and openssl....I've run out of things to try,
sadly.