Subject: Re: Upper/lower case - FAT32 partition
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2005 17:09:11
Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl+netbsd@lists.wasmer.ca> wrote:

> Is there a way to mount a FAT32 partition in such way that filenames are
> interpreted the same way as Windows?
>
> Currently files that are all lower case letters show up with upper case
> letters (I guess that's how Windows write the entry in the directory).

$ man mount_msdos

     -s      Force behaviour to ignore and not generate Win'95 long filenames.

     -l      Force listing and generation of Win'95 long filenames and sepa-
             rate creation/modification/access dates.

             If neither -s nor -l are given, mount_msdos searches the root di-
             rectory of the filesystem to be mounted for any existing Win'95
             long filenames.  If no such entries are found, -s is the default.
             Otherwise -l is assumed.

BUGS
     The default handling for -s and -l will result in empty filesystems to be
     populated with short filenames only. To generate long filenames on empty
     DOS filesystems use -l.

Though actually s/empty/without existing long filenames/.

SY, Uwe