Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 09:15:34
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> >Did the X server work fine? (And just the xorg-clients had problems?)
>
> The Xserver worked, in that it suddenly put up a high-res background
> and the mouse worked.  twm was working, or I couldn't have tried to
> fire up failing applications like xterm.  Hmm -- the background was the
> right color, which means that 'xsetroot' was working, too.

I was trying to see if the problem with the missing libraries was just
with the xorg-clients, but if xsetroot and twm worked, then maybe it is
just with certain software.

> >Do Xnest and xorgcfg have the correct RPATH?
>
> I don't know what RPATH is, nor xorgcfg -- I configured the system via
> 'X -configure'.  How do I check this?

xorgcfg is just a tool for configuring X. It is installed at
/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xorgcfg.

The RPATH is embedded in the program itself -- it lists the directories to
look for the libraries.

 objdump -p /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xorgcfg | grep RPATH

 objdump -p /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/Xorg | grep RPATH

 objdump -p /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/twm | grep RPATH

 sudo objdump -p /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xterm | grep RPATH

Maybe it is just certain tools that are missing the RPATH that should list
your /usr/pkg/xorg/lib. Maybe do the above objdump to look at RPATH of all
your /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/ executables.

(Sorry I don't have it installed myself on same system. I didn't check the
packages available on ftp server either.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/