Subject: Re: High Load / bad response times
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Keil <J.Keil@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 13:04:37
Greg Oster wrote:
> As Manuel suggests, try pushing the disks without RAIDframe or vinum.
I must have missed this part of the manual, sorry for that.

I've attached the output from sysstat vmstat while running vinum (i have
to admit that i don't get everything of what it's telling me). It's also
just a snapshot because the interrupt range is dithering from below 3000
up to 21000).

Trying different disks just gets me to that problem in no time. I got up
to 15000 interrupts with just one disk without vinum or raidframe.
(sysstat vmstat also attached).

Whatsmore the problem seems not to be bounded to this promise/wd
combination. I've got two scsi disks in that machine connected with an
onboard adaptec scsi controller which have the same problem. Lots of
interrupts and a bad ping response time.
Anything i could about that? I tried setting "PnP OS" to "No" in the
BIOS but it didn't help.

Thank you in advance and best Regards,

Jochen Keil

P.S.:
I didn't CC everbody else who answered me because i think they are all
subscribed to this list. If you'd like me to CC you tell me and i'll do
so :)

sysstat vmstat output
-for vinum with all for disks:
     5 users    Load  2.01  1.11  0.72                  Fri Jan  7 12:06:41

Proc:r  d  s  w    Csw   Trp   Sys  Int  Sof   Flt            PAGING
SWAPPING
         1  5       241  1359   176  400  101  1355            in  out
  in  out
                                                       ops
   19.7% Sy   5.9% Us   0.0% Ni  11.0% In  63.4% Id    pages
|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
==========>>>%%%%%
   forks

    fkppw
           memory totals (in kB)             4188 Interrupts
    fksvm
          real   virtual    free               90 cpu0 softclock
    pwait
Active 192820    192820  111464                2 cpu0 softnet
   relck
All    401792    401792  243040              100 cpu0 timer
   rlkok
                                                  FPU flush IPI
    noram
Namei         Sys-cache     Proc-cache           FPU synch IPI
   ndcpy
     Calls     hits    %     hits     %      2613 TLB shootdown I
    fltcp
        25       20   80                      100 cpu1 timer
411 zfod
                                                1 timeset IPI
    cow
Disks: seeks xfers bytes %busy                   FPU flush IPI
64 fmin
    sd0           1 6547    0.4                   FPU synch IPI
85 ftarg
    sd1                                       882 TLB shootdown I
26710 itarg
    wd0         117 6414K  29.2                 4 ioapic1 pin 8
865 wired
    wd1         125 6963K  29.8                 1 ioapic1 pin 12
    pdfre
    wd2         136 7842K  25.8               195 ioapic1 pin 0
    pdscn
    wd3         128 7056K  31.2               200 ioapic1 pin 2
                                                  ioapic1 pin 15

-for one disk:
     4 users    Load  1.97  1.04  0.46                  Fri Jan  7 12:45:23

Proc:r  d  s  w    Csw   Trp   Sys  Int  Sof   Flt            PAGING
SWAPPING
      2     4       588  8025   340  419  118  8012            in  out
  in  out
                                                       ops
   37.3% Sy   0.4% Us   0.0% Ni   2.5% In  59.9% Id    pages
|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
===================%
   forks

    fkppw
           memory totals (in kB)            15025 Interrupts
    fksvm
          real   virtual    free               98 cpu0 softclock
    pwait
Active  54256     54256  393268                2 cpu0 softnet
   relck
All    119888    119888  524844              100 cpu0 timer
   rlkok
                                                  FPU flush IPI
    noram
Namei         Sys-cache     Proc-cache           FPU synch IPI
   ndcpy
     Calls     hits    %     hits     %      1898 TLB shootdown I
    fltcp
        14       12   86                      100 cpu1 timer
    zfod
                                                1 timeset IPI
    cow
Disks: seeks xfers bytes %busy                   FPU synch IPI
64 fmin
    sd0                                     12407 TLB shootdown I
85 ftarg
    sd1                                         5 ioapic1 pin 8
    itarg
    wd0         429   27M  63.3                   ioapic1 pin 12
869 wired
    wd1                                       414 ioapic1 pin 0
    pdfre
    wd2                                           ioapic1 pin 2
    pdscn
    wd3                                           ioapic1 pin 15
                                                  FPU flush IPI