Subject: Re: "running without thermal monitor"?
To: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 10:04:28
--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:23:23AM +0100, Florian Stoehr wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>=20
> >On a new P4, this message shows up very early in the boot process:
> >
> >cpu0: running without thermal monitor!
[...]
> >acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <DELL  , 8400   ,00000007>, AslId <ASL ,00000061>
[...]
> is it a HP server? A "Pizzabox"?

It's obviously not a HP.

Anyway, the message Steve is seeing just means that the BIOS doesn't
activate the Thermal Monitor feature on the processor.  It might just
not actually have the thermal chip, just the bit set in the feature
register, just like all Intel processors have the HTT bit set even when
they don't have a hyperthreading core.

It's not like NetBSD does anything with it when the feature is active.
It's not really supposed to either according to the documentation.

As for what happens when the processor overheats, I guess it stops
or reduce its voltage/frequency to static values instead of "smartly"
lowering specs.

In conclusion, the message in dmesg might be slightly too alarming :)

--=20
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP--