Subject: Re: High Load / bad response times
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Keil <J.Keil@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/06/2005 20:31:06
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:55:55PM +0100, Jochen Keil wrote:
>
>>Well, i tried ping-ing from a different box but i'm using the freebsd
>>box as a router to the netbsd box so this makes no sense at all.
>

> I was suggested to run something other than NetBSD on the NetBSD box
> to find out if the problem still occurs.
Just before i installed NetBSD i had FreeBSD 5.3 installed and it ran
smooth. Also i didn't take a closer look on the ping response times the
ssh sessions never felt sluggish. I've been also using Vinum instead of
RAIDFrame (which isn't available for FreeBSD) and it wasn't as fast as
the NetBSD RAIDFrame.

Meanwhile i have been testing a different NIC in the FreeBSD box and
connected my Laptop (which has also a built-in wm NIC) directly to the
NetBSD box but the problem persisted. I could reinstall FreeBSD but that
wouldn't be too satisfactory after i really started to like NetBSD..
In my opinion the problem has something to do with RAIDFrame. I'll try
to get Vinum to run with NetBSD because my last half-hearted try wasn't
too successful.

Best Regards.