Subject: Re: LFS documentation?
To: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@hmacs.cmi.ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/06/2005 10:51:30
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:14:58PM +0100, Wouter Klouwen wrote:
> Geert Hendrickx(ghen@hmacs.cmi.ua.ac.be) said 2005.01.05 12:35:53 +0000:
> > Can anyone point me to some good LFS (Log-structured File System)
> > documentation?  I've searched Google, but it only returns some ancient
> > papers.
>
> Some of these "ancient" papers are the papers of Rosenblum et al. which are
> the reference papers, and how the FS does on their Sprite OS (if I recall
> correctly).
> The person who adapted it on NetBSD has the papers here:
> 	http://www.hhhh.org/perseant/lfs.html
>
> The papers ROSE90, ROSE92 and SELT93 are quite important to read. If you own
> the book `The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System'
> (ISBN 0-201-54979-4) then read section 8.3, as it should cover most
> important things about LFS.

Ok, but still I think it's a pitty that NetBSD includes multiple
filesystems without documentation on which to use for what purpose.

e.g. I mostly use FFS+softdep on "almost read-only" filesystems like
/usr, and fully async FFS on filesystems with temporary and/or
recoverable data like /tmp, /usr/obj, /usr/pkgsrc, ... (I just newfs
them in case of a crash, no fsck'ing these...).  But what about e.g.
/home and /var ?  Would LFS be appropriate for those?  (as it was
designed to be crash-proof and quite performant on write-intensitive
filesystems)

Any experiences?

GH

--