Subject: netbooting sparc64 - "read phdr: Unknown error: code 0"
To: None <>
From: Joel CARNAT <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/2004 00:12:53

I have a problem with my netboot server.
I try to netboot an U5 from an i386 NetBSD (2.0_RC5) server and if fails
saying :

Rebooting with command: boot net
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@1,1  File and args:
13000 >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (builds@build, Thu Dec  2 02:33:41 UTC 2004)
net_open: client addr:
net_open: subnet mask:
net_open: net gateway:
net_open: server addr:
net_open: server path: /tftpboot/client/root
net_open: file name:
Using BOOTP protocol: ip address:, hostname: client, netmask:, gateway:
root addr= path=/tftpboot/client/root
loadfile: reading header
elf32_exec: Booting /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/network@1,1/netbsd
read phdr: Unknown error: code 0
Program terminated

I've already done such a thing (with a FreeBSD server, but for NetBSD
1.6.2) and it went OK (aka, I did have some notes which I used to setup
the NetBSD bootnet server - AND still used NetBSD HOWTO document).

Does anyone know which process makes such an error ?
Would my dhcpd.conf be wrong or would I miss some file in my NFS mount
point ? I used various "filename" value but it doesn't seem to be the
issue :(

This mail runs NetBSD/i386

# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
deny unknown-clients;
ddns-update-style none;

allow bootp;

subnet netmask { }

group {
        option broadcast-address;
        option domain-name "";
        option domain-name-servers;
        option routers;
        option subnet-mask;

        host {
                hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
                option host-name "client";
                filename "";
#		filename "netbsd";
                option root-path "/tftpboot/client/root";