Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 problem booting after installation
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2004 08:39:51
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:08:22 +0000
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> You should be able to boot the system by interrupting the install boot
> and typing 'boot wd0a:'

When I do this I get:

booting wd0a:netbsd
open wd0a:: Device not configured
boot: wd0a:netbsd: Device not configured

, alternatively exit sysinst, mount the
> filesystem and chroot into it.

Yes. I found this yesterday (I sent the original message on saturday. There must be moderation on this list).

Running

installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2

....made no difference...
(I have currently installed with FFSv2, though I have the same problem with FFSv1)

...but running:

installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd0d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2

...did. Quoting from the update I sent a little while ago:

...and now the primary bootstrap seems to load. However it can't see /boot:

NetBSD/i386 ffsv2 Primary Bootstrap
Boot failed (errno  2): Can't open /boot

I can mount the filesystem on /dev/rwd0a by booting from the install CD and running a shell, and have verified that /boot and /netbsd both exist.

So I think I am half way there. But I don't know what is wrong with /boot

Thanks.
--
Michael Smith