Subject: External Drive idea
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2004 09:12:53
I recently bought a 160GB drive to put into my external enclosure to use as
a portable drive. My goal is to develop a portable hard drive that can be
used on my Windows and NetBSD machines.

The problem is that Windows XP will not format a drive larger than 32GB as
FAT32. I could format it as NTFS, but then other computers writing to the
disk run a small, but not insignificant, chance of trashing the system
(that is to say I have seen it happen). I could format it as FAT32 in
NetBSD, but then the cluster size is rather large and inefficient (32k I
believe). So something better than FAT32 should be used.

So my bright idea is to format it using the Macintosh file system and use
the MacDrive driver that comes with XPlay (used for accesing the iPod disk
in windows) to access it. My guess is that this filesystem will be more
efficient. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, has anybody done any other tricks to get a large, efficient file
system onto a disk that is readable in WindowsXP? Perhaps someone has
written a Windows driver for ext2,3 or ffs?

--

Brian