Subject: Re: Updating packages in going from NetBSD 1.5 -> 2.0
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2004 11:37:59
On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 01:57:48PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
|I decided that the easiest thing was to recompile everything, using
|pkg_conf to build the list of stuff to rebuild. You could figure
|out minimal rebuilds via pkgdepgraph, but I suspect you'll run into
|problems with other things being out of date.

I would suggest looking at the chroot compile environment described
in Packages.txt - this allows you to build a set of packages without
worrying about removing packages in your current system which you may be
using ...

in essence, create a directory to be the root of your chroot
environment, unpack the appropriate sets into it (which from memory
should be base, etc, compile, xcomp (if necessary)). I then chroot
into the environment and use cvs to create an appropriate /usr/src and
/usr/pkgsrc trees - you can copy your current versions of these trees
from your current system if you prefer (I generally keep a copy of this
build environment which is at the same version for all my production
systems and another with -current and a more up-to-date pkgsrc for
tinkering and testing on my own workstation)

... so when I need a new pkgsrc set I jump into the chroot and start it
running ... when/if it finished cleanly I can just copy out the binary
packages and updates are much less painful ...

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences