Subject: Re: BIND9 very slow resolving external addresses
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2004 01:51:30
Amadeus Stevenson wrote:
>>I was about to mention that there is supposed to be a bug in recent bind
>>(what version I forgot) where ipv6 queries eat up time on systems where
>>ipv6 is not available. Check the bind list for details.
>

> I recompiled bind9 without ipv6 support and now it works much much
> better. (USE_IPV6=NO with netbsd pkgsrc)
>
> Thanks very much!

I'm glad you found a solution.

> Amadeus
>
> On a side note, I couldn't find a '-4' option to run named with.

"man named" for version 9.3.0 sez:

NAME
        named - Internet domain name server

SYNOPSIS
        named [ -4 ]  [ -6 ]  [ -c config-file ]  [ -d debug-level ]  [ -f ]  [
        -g ]  [ -n #cpus ]  [ -p port ]  [ -s ]  [ -t directory ]  [ -u user  ]
        [ -v ]  [ -x cache-file ]

DESCRIPTION
        named  is a Domain Name System (DNS) server, part of the BIND 9 distri-
        bution from ISC. For more information on the DNS, see RFCs 1033,  1034,
        and 1035.

        When  invoked without arguments, named will read the default configura-
        tion file /usr/local/etc/named.conf, read any initial data, and  listen
        for queries.

OPTIONS
        -4     Use  IPv4  only even if the host machine is capable of IPv6.  -4
               and -6 are mutually exclusive.

        -6     Use IPv6 only even if the host machine is capable of  IPv4.   -4
               and -6 are mutually exclusive.
[ ... ]

--
-Chuck