Subject: Re: disabling IPv6 in Bind9
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/09/2004 19:54:23
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Hanspeter Roth wrote:

> > BIND_OPTS(`+AAONLY +WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
>
> define(`confBIND_OPTS', `+AAONLY +WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')

My bad; I must have forgotten my caffeine before that one.  Yes, it's
"confBIND_OPTS".

> did help on 2.0_RC4/8.12.11.
>
> However on a 1.6ZK/8.12.9p1 the behavior is still the same.

Hm, odd.  WorkAroundBrokenAAAA appeared in 8.12.1.  However, if you're still
running 8.12.9p1, it may be a good idea to upgrade anyway.

> I have no experience with IPv6. So I don't know which are broken
> AAAAs and which are correct ones.

Some nameservers return a SERVFAIL on an AAAA query (such as the one
Sendmail uses to determine the address of the local hostname), rather than
the proper NXDOMAIN (no entry in DNS).  This confuses Sendmail during the
hostname->IP discovery.

WorkAroundBrokenAAAA makes Sendmail try once, then give up immediately on
SERVFAIL.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>