Subject: Re: "Selling" NetBSD to the IT Department
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2004 06:53:04
On Dec 8, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Mirko Thiesen wrote:
> However, I must admit that if I change my viewpoint I can also
> understand a company's decision to stick with what they know, even if
> there are better alternatives out there. They have to do things for
> their customers, they have to care for their employees - they have run
> a company. After all, they prefer using tools that they know of they
> work, and that they can always handle "themselves". They have to
> eliminate all single points of failure, and actually I even did this
> myself - in the IT area. From a more global, a company-wide viewpoint,
> they did nothing else.

So, if I understand you correctly... You can understand that a company
should do what everyone else is doing because it's safe and well known.
There's no competitive benefit for a company to perhaps innovate and
try branching out in a slightly different direction to see if there's
some hidden value there that offers them something that their
competition doesn't have?

It's not like administering a Unix machine is alchemy ... It's a fairly
well known and commonly available skillset ... There are "Dummies"
books about it...